Saturday, August 2, 2008

Michigan - last time, I promise!

Wednesday: Raining on and off. We still got in a lighthouse, the Colonial Michilimackinac Fort, and a historic working sawmill/nature preserve! I didn't go in the lantern room because you had to be able to walk up the stairs - one thing Katie can't do yet! I stayed down below with her. Becca and Anson dressed up like Lighthouse Keepers and showed their tickets to see the lighthouse.
Lighthouse Keepers! Inside the lantern room.
Outside the Lighthouse. Outside the Fort.

We are a 1700s family! Not even enough room for 2 kids!
In front of the working Sawmill.
Thursday: Mackinac Island! If you've ever seen Somewhere In Time (starring Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour), you have seen Mackinac Island. The beautiful Grand Hotel is on the island, along with 2 Butterfly conservatories, dozens of fudge shops, and Fort Mackinac (pronounced Mackinaw). One interesting thing about the island is that no cars are allowed. Only horses and bicycles. It was very lovely.
We of course went to one of the butterfly conservatories, because if anyone knows Rebecca, they know she loves Butterflies!
Look at the beautiful Butterflies! This blue one is real!
Rebecca the Butterfly Lover!
The Grand Hotel. Outside Margaret's Garden.
(Aaron's mom's name is Margaret.)
Friday: Fourth of July! BBQ for lunch, family dance in the evening, and our own fireworks on the dock. Lots of people shot off their own fireworks on the lake. You can't do that in AZ, so it was really fun.
Anson- the leader of the pack!
Anson's "talent" of scaring people w/ his dinosaur!
Becca and cousin Sheridan and cousin Neve.
Amy and Katie. Anson getting his groove on!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful time you all seemed to have! How nice for family reunions! I have always wanted to visit the grand hotel. How beautiful. It must have been so nice to escape from the hot Az sun and go berry picking. Your pictures are adorable.

Stephanie Abney said...

Great posts about your family reunion, Andrea. And beautiful pictures. I have never been to Michigan. Looks like you had such a grand time. Family reunions are the best. I've enjoyed reading all about yours. Take care.

Blessings,
Stephanie

Andrea said...

What a fun trip...I love all your pictures. i am from Illinois and those pictures made me so homesick!

Anonymous said...

Those are such cute pictures.It looks like you guys a great time!

SmileKatieLovesYou said...

Your kids are so cute. I love holding Katie. I like to think that she was named after me. :)