Monday, March 9, 2009

Family Home Evening (and Afternoon)

We started our Family Night early today. Aaron got home around 4:30 (which hasn't happened for a while!), so we went on a family bike ride. We rode down to the park and Aaron and Rebecca and Anson played "Lava Monster" on the playground equipment while I helped Katie go down the slide again and again. The girl is crazy about slides. I don't remember any of the others being so excited about it.

After we got home, Aaron made dinner out of all of the leftovers in the refrigerator. He is the master leftover-dinner-maker. He seriously makes the best dishes out of nothing (at least it would be nothing to me). While he made dinner, the kids and I went out to the backyard to plant the top part of the garden. We planted peas, yellow squash, zucchini, and cucumbers. The planting is done now until the tomatoes and peppers in the house are ready to be transplanted. Speaking of which, 2 of my tomato plants are starting to come up!

After dinner, we had the official family home evening. We do talents for part of it, so Katie walked, Anson played the violin (with Aaron's help), Rebecca played the guitar (strumming with the pick), and Aaron and I each played a song on the guitar too. I know about 4 or 5 chords and 2 or 3 songs. It was kind of fun to remember them from high school.

Rebecca gave the lesson on seeds and how the grow and what they need. We talked about faith. We also talked about how sometimes grass, for instance, needs to be mowed down. So we talked about how the Lord humbles us. Rebecca told a story that she remembered from the Friend. I think we read it like a year ago. She has the best memory.

We had brownies for dessert (leftover from the family dinner last night. Thanks Grandma and Grandpa!). Then we made bread since it was only 7:30. Aaron ground up a ton of wheat to put in the freezer so I can use it when I want too. My wheat grinder lid is SO hard to open. I can't do it by myself, so I am at the mercy of Aaron to help me. Needless to say, it seriously dampens my bread making. Its baking right now and smells really good. Bread anyone? I'll bring some to exercise class tomorrow - this is a bribe to come, by the way!

2 comments:

Maria said...

My wheat grinder lid is the exact same way. I figured out if you rub some white flour or oil on the black part on the rim of it after you are done grinding wheat,then the next time you use it- it just slides open easily. Hope this helps you!

Heather said...

Hey Andrea! I can't believe you are on #4 and I am barely getting started with #1! That is so exciting, and I am glad for your sake that it's not twins :) Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and see how things are going!